Unfriendly reminder that in America it’s reasonable to say an unarmed black kid deserved to be shot six times because he might have robbed a convenience store, but a white kid shouldn’t be kicked off the high school football team just because he violently raped a girl.
Tulsa, Oklahoma near the original Black Wall Street.
I guess that meme of DaQuan—the one y’all thought was funny—came true mhmmm 😒
- kicked their daughter out (left her at a homeless shelter)
- found out she had left the shelter to live with a guy
- tracked them down at 9 at night to yell at her
- shot her unarmed boyfriend (killing him)
- shot at her after she ran to hide in the bushes
- shot at the bf’s 13 yr old brother (hitting him in the arm)
- fled the scene
- were allowed to turn themselves in
- were put on PAID suspension
Attemptedmurder (and shooting at minors!) only gets paid leave. The more one scratches the surface..
I like can’t even process the amount of racism and violence that has suddenly spiked. Not that it’s not like it was never happening but fucking hell I’m seeing a new story everyday about some child of color getting gunned down like an animal while white guys that shoot up schools and movie theaters get probation because “they where so mentally ill.” I hate the world
This happened earlier this month. Both parents are members of the Tulsa police force.
“Both are held at the Tulsa jail, police chief Chuck Jordan said, but are confined in an area away from other inmates they may have come into contact with on the job.”
Yeah wow that’d be so scary for them.
The article also cites two of the killers’ neighbors who, naturally, call them “wonderful” and praise their parenting. Further down in the article, it says there “were no incident reports” for the victim at the homeless shelter, because that’s totally relevant information.
thepunkandthereckless said: Why does it matter what race the people are? Shouldn't the only thing that matters is people are dying by the hands of the police and nothing is being done about it? Why does everything have to be about race?
Reread your own message. Who is dying by the hands of the police? Black people.. on purpose.. Black people are intentionally being killed by the police… Not “people”.. because this is happening at an institutional level in which specifically Black people are purposefully being killed, arrested and dehumanized by the police because they are Black. It’s really fucking simple, actually. There’s a pattern— that’s why race matters. We— Black people— are all as en entire race in fucking danger that’s why race matters. Because it ISN’T just happening to “people”… it’s happening to Black people BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK. It’s not a coincidence.
Why would it not matter that one group of people is intentionally being killed..? They’re being killed by the police BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK.. LITERALLY. Why would it not be about race if Black people are specifically being targeted to be killed like why wouldn’t that be important… Why do you not want to involve race? Tell me if you see a pattern that would help you understand why it’s about race
- A black fashion student says he was brutally attacked by a gang of Hasidic men who shouted anti-gay slurs at him while he was walking through Williamsburg after a night of partying, the Daily News has learned.
- Eric Garner is choked and killed by the police in public on camera because of racial profiling
- Black man blew a 0.00 on breathalyzer test and is arrested for DUI
- If I see three or four young black men walking down the street, I have to stop them and check their names. I want them to be afraid every time they see the police that they might get arrested.Chief Russell Mills to the LA Times after shooting and killing black 89-year-old great grandfather Shawn Monroe at a barbecue unprovoked. Today, he walks free with no charges, despite numerous witnesses and his own admission that he enjoys terrorizing black people.
- ACU students say hate crime highlights racism on campus By Jennifer Kendall
- 93-year-old activist: NC voting restrictions worse now than during the Jim Crow era
- Man Arrested After Drinking Iced Tea In Public Must Take Deal Or Go To Trial
- Javier Payne, a 14-year-old black boy from the Bronx who was attacked by the NYPD last weekend as he was walking home from a hookah shop in his neighborhood.
- Police Commissioner Calls Obama N-word and Refuses to Apologize
- Man dies defending daughter during alleged hate crime
- West Virginia man kills new black neighbors without warning
- More white people use drugs but Black people are sent to jail for drugs at 10 times the rate that white people are
- Black people who “sound Black” earn less money than those who don’t because of associations with stereotypes. Black people who “sound Black” are less likely to get called back for jobs
- Black children grow up literally associating being Black with being bad and ugly
- White people when tested shot more unarmed Black subjects than armed and unarmed white subjects
- Hate crimes increase after Boston tragedy
- Moroccan High School Student is linked to Boston tragedy for being Brown
- NYPD Commissioner wants Black and Latino men to fear him after the police targeted literally 90 percent Black and Latino men in New York and humiliating them by frisking them in public under the assumption that they had weapons. Studies found that white men were the ones who overwhelmingly had weapons while Black and Latino men didn’t
- White people blaming and convicting Black men for crimes they never committed and everyone believing them because of racism
- Stop and Frisk, ruled unconstitutional was practiced by New York police disproportionately and unfairly affecting 90% Black and Latino men because of racism
- Here are some of the numbers on hate crimes against People of Color and btw, Neo Naziism is increasing!
- Every 28 Hours an African American is Extrajudicially Murdered in the U.S.
- Black people 3 times more likely to be arrested for Marijuana
- Black people receive much harsher sentencing than white people for the same crimes do I need to go on?
- Deaf Black man is stabbed out of internalized racism when his sign language is mistaken for a GANG SIGN
- Oops! Chicago police raids the wrong house, holds an 11 month old at gunpoint to raise their hand, kills their dog all because of racism and assuming it was a crackhouse! Oopsies
- Let’s take it overseas! Black people in England and Wales are 7 times more likely to be stopped by police than white people. Asian people are twice as likely
- White kids think it’s totally okay and normal to photograph themselves lynching a Black baby doll like an effigy
- Here’s a graph of the statistic that approx every 28 hours an African American is extrajudicially executed in the US
- NYPD profiling and targeting LGBT*Q People of Color
- Black students (especially boys and children with disabilities) face more and harsher punishments in public schools and are being pushed out of schools into the criminal justice system.
- Black male incarceration has jumped 500% from 1986 to 2004
- Albany police: SWAT literally uses a poor Black neighborhood to train in because they say it’s ‘realistic’
- The audio recording from a young man of color of a NYPD stop and frisking him based solely how he looks calling him a “FUCKING MUTT”
- Incarceration rates by ethnicity
- African-American man says NYPD made him rap before freeing him
- Black Detroit woman shot to death while seeking help in white neighborhood after car crash
- Woman Says She Called 911 for an Ambulance for Her Fiancé, Cops Came and Shot Him Instead
- A Black man holding a wallet is more likely to be shot by the police than a White man holding a gun.
- Students of color At University of Texas Attacked By An Epidemic Of ‘Bleach Bombs’
- Racism Linked to Adult-Onset Asthma in Black Women
- Black firefighter waves to white police man and is handcuffed and on the ground
- Disparities in the workforce exist as Black women and Latino men work more than white women and white men but the racial wage gap still exists
- Oakland: Study finds racial bias in boys’ arrests targeting guess who? Black young men, of course!
- How is it that 58% of prisoners are Black and Latino if 70% of crime committed here is done by white people?
- Forty Percent of White Americans Are Lying About Their ‘Black Friend’
- When whites were presented with an argument against the death penalty or three strikes that emphasized the racial bias of the policy, they became more (not less) supportive of capital punishment and three strikes laws.
- African-Americans More Likely To Receive Lower-Quality Kidneys, Study Finds
- Famous actor Brandon T. Jackson is called racial slurs on his flight and told “I don’t care if you’re Obama’s son” then questioned by the police and restricted from flying and left alone to look for a hotel himself for being the victim of racism on US Airways
- Rob Brown, famous star of Treme is racially profiled and arrested at Macy’s for purchasing a watch with his own money and his own credit card and accused of fraud
- Kayla Philips tries to purchase a bag at Barney’s and is also accused of fraud at Barney’s because they didn’t believe she could afford it
- I mean have you heard about Mike Brown who is a teen that was gunned down for “walking in the street” and lied on by the police about “stealing” from a shop that says he didn’t steal from there and they didn’t call the police at all?
- Have you been keeping up with Ferguson and who’s being shot at for peacefully protesting?
- White people literally care so little about Black life that they think “if i was gunned down” hashtag is a joke… they think Black people being killed by the police is funny and a joke. Nothing is sacred.
- Unarmed black man, Ezell Ford, killed by LAPD hmm I wonder if racism played a part
- Ferguson police refer to protesting crowd as “animals” and enact violence with wooden bullets and tear gas against them
- A Black innocent bystander happens to be the one to be attacked and arrested by a mallcop during a protest
- Racist bus driver caught on tape using racist slurs to Black kids and family
- Renisha McBride is the victim of gun violence and yet is put on trial for her own death instead of the guilty killer as ‘drunk woman’
- Black man is shot dead by police in Walmart ‘after he picked up a toy gun’ — interesting that white people are toting real rifles around Target with no problem
- Police beat a Black teenage girl for “breaking curfew” on what planet would that deserve any physical consequence
- Family of Black man killed by officer at Red Arrow Park says he was shot 15 times
- How is it that a Black man blows 0.00 on the breathalyzer and is still arrested
- Keep in mind that white people are still painting their skin brown and black to commit crimes so that innocent Black men are blamed while their identity is protected
- Babysitter Robs 4 Year Old, Blames a Black Man, Black Neighbor Falsely Arrested
- Chief Russell Mills to the LA Times after shooting and killing black 89-year-old great grandfather Shawn Monroe at a barbecue unprovoked says “If I see three or four young black men walking down the street, I have to stop them and check their names. I want them to be afraid every time they see the police that they might get arrested” Today, he walks free with no charges, despite numerous witnesses and his own admission that he enjoys terrorizing black people.
- There are hate crimes happening on ACU campus against Black people in which people are ticketing Black people’s cars with “Black people don’t own nice cars” etc.
- Black Man Arrested After Drinking Iced Tea In Public Must Take Deal Or Go To Trial
- Black Mother Of Special Needs Son Arrested After Entering His School To Console Him.. How does that make sense?
- Javier Payne is a 14-year-old black boy from the Bronx who was attacked by the NYPD last weekend as he was walking home from a hookah shop in his neighborhood.
- Police Commissioner Calls Obama N-word and Refuses to Apologize. Being the president or ivy league educated or raised by white people does not encourage racists to stop being racist
- Racist pub landlord tells TV chef Lorraine Pascale ‘n*****s aren’t welcome’ but she’s OK because his wife ‘likes her cakes’
- NYPD beat Muslim teens, rip off hijabs
- More social experiments where Black people seen breaking into cars are treated exactly how you’d expect and white people are offered help
- Black 8-Year-Old Shot by White Neighbor Struggles to Recover in Texas. Eight years old. Shot by white neighbor. Take it in.
- NIH study reveals black scientists are systematically underfunded wow not shocking to anyone though
- West Virginia white man kills new black neighbors without warning
- Debt Collectors Are More Likely To Go After Black People
- Unarmed Brooklyn Black Man Charged With Felonious Assault For Two Women Shot By NYPD. How does it make sense that the NYPD has bad aim and a man they were shooting at is blamed for it?
- Black female professor reprimanded for pointing out existence of structural racism to white male students
- Three black students waiting for bus arrested after cops order them to ‘disperse’
- Selling While Black: Racism Revealed in Online Shopping Study
- African American Postman Shot and Killed, Apparently Mistaken For ‘Prowler’
- Hate crimes charges after students fasten bike lock around black roommate’s neck and call him ‘Three-fifths’
- Innocent Teenager, Never Convicted, Spends 3 Years in Jail Before Charges Dropped
- African-American man says NYPD made him rap before freeing him like this is a funny silly game for them
- Cervical cancer vaccine misses minority women, study finds
- The shutdown left Native american children in the cross hairs and who cared ….Where was the national outcry?
- Woman Says She Called 911 for an Ambulance for Her Fiancé, Cops Came and Shot Him Instead. Guess his race just guess
- Here’s a vine where you can see a Black person walking leisurely as a white police officer chases them and so they move off to the side and then seemingly confused, surrender by sitting down and they’re still pushed for literally no reason
- Let’s spot some patterns in the ‘police brutality’ tag over the last 2 years
It is about race, I’m not “making it about race”. Why don’t you want it to be about race when it already is…?
I just watched a kid break down in the bookstore because his books for the semester totaled $600 and that’s the american university system in a nutshell
I was on the verge of tears when I got to the cashier so yeah, that’s messed up
While I entirely support following that link, I also suggest going to Abe Books or Book Depository or even eBay to see if there are inexpensive print versions of books you need. I haven’t paid full-price for any of my texts while I’m in school… because that would DOUBLE the cost of school.
I use the ISBN of the require books and search the cheap sites for them.
Good luck out there, guys!
Paging FenrisLorsrai! Come work your resource magic on this post!
I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED. (but I’ll post on my actual bookstore account)
Quick anddirty meta search for books: Addall. it’ll crawl 40+ book sites at once including ABE, ALibris, Amazon, Half in both domestic AND foreign versions.
Meta search #2! GetTextbooks.com which focuses specifically on textbooks. It omits some foreign sites that AddAll includes, BUT it also includes a whole bunch of rentals as well. Renting is probably the most cost effective method overall.
NOW, HOW TO SEARCH!
First determine a few things:
- Make sure you have the ISBN
- IF IT IS A BUNDLE: Determine if you need a software key/CD/workbook/lab book or not. Many times you do not. Math classes increasingly NEED the software key, but more on that later
- ASK THE PROFESSOR: If this is not the first edition of the book, can you use a previous edition? One edition back is generally half the cost of current, two is generally about 1/8th the cost. Generally you can get away with this if its material that doesn’t change rapidly. Your course on the Civil War, you can probably use two editions back. Your computer programming class on latest greatest language… you probably need newest edition.
- FOR LITERATURE CLASSES: determine if you book is from before 1929. If it is, its in public domain, you can almost certain get a free copy online. If they want a SPECIFIC copy for an essay bundled with book, see below.
Now, run your search by ISBN using the two metasearch sites. Open them in separate tabs.
gettextbooks shows you WITH the shipping, Addall does NOT show you the shipping. keep this in mind when you’re comparing. You’ll see a lot of duplication. GetTextbooks will also show you SOME variants.
Now that you have those open, open two more tabs. Run a second search on same two sites using the author and exact title you picked up from search #1. This will show you all the international editions and weird bundles that don’t exactly match the ISBN of the bookstore
WHAT THE HELL IS AN INTERNATIONAL EDITION: its a paperback version of the US version with an angry notice on the cover saying “NOT FOR SALE OUTSIDE INDONESIA”. Its the same book, but way cheaper. ignore the angry warning, the US Supreme Court has your back. NO, REALLY. Right of first sale, baby! ignore the angry warning and you basically have same book, it just isn’t printed with ink made from student tears and unobtanium.
Now filter results based on whether you need any Extra materials or not.
IF YOU DO NEED THE EXTRA MATERIALS: this is where it gets tricky. an intact bundle is generally the most expensive option or near top end of price curve. If you NEED the other materials, you may be able to get them cheaper in pieces. and you can buy mismatched pieces!
Say for example you need a math textbook, but need the software key for the math problem program. The professor said you can use older book. Buy a math book that one or more editions back and then buy the software key separately from the SOFTWARE manufacturer. You’ll find the software keys on booksites all by themselves, but they’re generally way more expensive than buying the key direct from software manufacturer. and no shipping then!
NOW A WORD ON LITERATURE: sometimes profs want you to get a specific edition of something to read a specific essay in the book. You have about 50/50 odds that the essay is in the front of the book. IF IT IS, you may be able to read the essay on Amazon by going to that books page and clicking on the “look inside”. They generally preview between 10-30 pages of books and that often means its the essay you needed, not the actually BODY of the book. So you can look up the specific copy of Frankenstein on Amazon, read the essay, then download a free different version from Project Gutenberg.
FOR RECENT NONFICTION, make sure you have an up to date library card for your HOME library and the LOCAL city library where your college is. Many have digital loans available, where you can check out the ebook for free and popular nonfiction is frequently available that way.
IF YOU CAN GET YOUR BOOKLIST BEFORE GOING TO SCHOOL: shop for the mundane things locally first. There will be 50 people in CollegeTown looking for that book, you may be the only one in your home town. supply and demand, if you found it in collegetown, it may be 10X price of your local bookstore.
and check you local library as well! You may be able to check out some of those books from your local library and take them to school with you and renew them online one or more times, depending on how in demand they are. There will be NO copies in CollegeTown library because there’s 50 people asking for it. But your HOME town, you may be able to renew it twice since its low demand. Write on your calender when they’re due or need to be renewed. Renew them OR tuck the whole pile into a Priority Mail flat rate box and send them home to your folks. The cost of the priority box to send several library books home is probably way less than what you’d pay for them. (or if its stuff you know you need AFTER a break where you’ll be home, request a hold from school, pick up at home)
ONE LAST WORD BEFORE YOU BUY…
You determined you HAVE to buy a book and you’ve narrowed it down to a few choices of source. Run a search for “coupon + Sitename” what looked like the lowest priced may not if you find a coupon for the 2nd or 3rd lowest priced option. Gettextbook will generate some automatically, but you may be able to find even better ones.
So make yourself some food, get a beverage, put on some tunes and compare prices!
and if you’re reached point of wanting to curl up in a ball and die, you can send us an ask with the ISBN for your book and answers to questions aobe (extra materials, previous edition, etc) and we’ll send you back an note with a link to the cheapest one we can find. I do this for a living, send an ask and I’ll get it done usually within about 12 hours.
WHOOP WHOOP MASSIVE EXCELLENT RESOURCE ADVICE ABOVE!!!!
The New Jim Crow
1. Ferguson, Missouri has a population of approximately 21,000 people — roughly 75% of those residents are Black
2. The Ferguson police department has around 530 cops —less than 5 of them are Black
3. Ferguson had *zero* homicides for all of 2014 —until Michael Brown was murdered by Darrin Wilson
4. Things you should know: Five Myths About Black-on-Black Crime
5. Michael Brown was 18yrs old and was about to begin college. Brown had no criminal record, and despite the Ferguson PD’s smear campaign, Mike Brown PAID FOR the cigars —those facts are all important and should be known, but even if Brown was a high school dropout with prior arrests who stole the cigars, 1) it wouldn’t have made his life any less valuable, 2) we have a court system and those are not capital offenses and 3) it doesn’t change the fact that the cop who killed him, Darren Wilson, had no idea about Brown’s personal history when he executed Brown. Wilson saw only a Black teen deemed either “too uppity” or “suspicious” because of his skin color
6. Five examples: The Militarization of the police
7. It’s deeply Institutional: Police view Black Children As Less Innocent
8. So please - don’t get it twisted
hermione & her boys
OKAY NO LET ME EXPLAIN YOU A THING.
My ENTIRE CHILDHOOD, this is what I imagined Hermione looked like. A curly haired girl of color who looked something like me, who had a hard time making friends like me because she was intelligent and sometimes she thought too much and didn’t have a problem losing herself in a book. I even ARGUED, tooth and nail with the other students in my class about my headcanon and questioned why she COULDN’T look like me, what was wrong with her looking like me, and why they felt she HAD to be white.
When I found out she wasn’t thanks to the movies, there was a kind of disconnect from her character, and the way I closed that disconnect was to ignore canon and keep picturing her as someone like me. I stopped talking about my headcanon to avoid arguments and name calling and teasing, but I never ever let go of the idea of a POC Hermione.
So to the artist, THANK YOU FOR DRAWING MY HERMIONE.
TRIGGER WARNING: ABUSE, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
[image: Simple text image with three arrows in a circle. Title: Cycle of Violence. (these steps usually happen in sequence, but they do not always start with the Honeymoon Phase) 1. “Honeymoon” Phase - The abuser could ignore, deny, or act sorry for the violence. The abuser may try to “male up” through gifts or favors. The abuser may seek pity. This phase is an attempt to draw you back into the relationship. 2. Tension Phase - This feels like walking on eggshells. There may not be physical violence, but emotional abuse, threats, and intimidation are present. Fear of violence is often as coercive as violence itself. 3. Violent Phase - This is the actual violent episode. It includes physical emotional, or sexual abuse. A crime is committed.]
EVERYONE needs to know this. This is how nearly all abusive relationships play out, nearly all of the time. It’s very, very common and very important.
Bear in mind that “violent outbursts” can also mean mental/verbal abuse, shoving or holding someone down, throwing things at the person or threats.
Usually, this cycle worsens and worsens throughout the relationship. The violent episodes last longer and longer and the honeymoon phase gets shorter or may disappear completely, leaving the relationship bouncing back and forth between tension and explosions.
Please reblog if you think your readers could be helped by this?